Thursday, April 7, 2011

Machu Picchu was amazing

Even though we didn't get to our hostel until after 9 last night we got up at 4:30 am to get to Machu Picchu so that we could climb Wayna Picchu. They only let 400 people climb per day so we had to get there early.

We made it in time to get our passes stamped to make the climb and then we actually made the climb to the peak, though there were a few moments of doubt.

In the photo above, it is the peak on the right. I didn't take any photos from my phone of the view from the peak but it was astounding. Pictures will follow later when I can hook my real camera to a computer. The second pic is the just for proof that we made it. The climb was only a kilometer but it was straight up 500 year old stone steps and it was quite a harrowing ascent and descent.

Machu Picchu was even more amazing than expected. I'm so glad we added this leg to our trip!

1 comment:

  1. The picture from your camera is amazing so I can't imagine what it's like to actually be there and experience it live. Beyond words I'm sure! I kept telling Stephen that you can't go to Peru and not see Machu Picchu - so glad you decided to go. So worth what will soon be your aching bodies :)

    ReplyDelete